(207)353-9447

(207) 353-9447 Email wheelersurveying@comcast.net

Sunday, March 3, 2019

"20 feet square and 7 feet stud"

From time to time someone will say to me "Land Surveying seems like it would be a real cool job". I will admit sometimes I don't think so, but really I get to see some really unique places and learn some very interesting things.

One such example is a deed that I recently found for a project in Bowdoin. This particular deed was from 1781, for a 140 acre parcel. The deed was from James Bowdoin, an original proprietor to a Mr. Job Trufant. The description held no particular special value by first read, but the conditions of the deed did peak my interest. Much like the conditions for settling the West nearly 100 years later, this early sale in Bowdoin had many conditions. The buyer was required to help build and maintain the road by the south side of the place and also to clear 10 acres of field within 5 years. They were also bound to build and occupy a house not less than 20 feet square and 7 feet stud. Certainly a sensible structure, but likely not easy to build in any case. There was also a requirement to occupy the farm for 12 years. 12 years of unthinkable hardship grubbing out a living in the backcountry. It would be 7 years until the incorporation of the Town of Bowdoin in 1788 and not until 1820 until the State of Maine would be come a reality.

Sometimes I take for granted that history is easy, it is accessible and everyone knows this stuff. The reality is however quite the opposite. I am Lucky that I get paid to know this stuff. Thanks for reading.

2 comments:

  1. I read your post and i like it. You really give your valuable information. Thank you for sharing Land Survey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post...

    You can easily search for Land Surveyors near me to get the best land surveying if you are about to buy any property. Land surveyors carried out the process of land surveying which is a technique, art and science, the profession of determining the three-dimensional or terrestrial positions of points and the angle and distance between them.

    ReplyDelete